Pages

Monday, May 7, 2012

Flight Simulator... CRASH AND BURN

I decided to go see the doctor on Thursday after work. My knee had been still really bothering me enough that I was convinced it wasn't soreness after 10 days and the junky feeling and tenderness made me feel bad enough to go ge it looked at. (Sidenote: I don't think I'll ever go back to that practice again. I had an awful customer service experience with the on call doc. Rude. Rude. Rude.) They took some xrays and worked on my knee for a little bit. I do have a slight flare up of bursitis again. Similar to when I started running 2 years ago and went too hard too fast. Luckily fixable but not so good that apparently having the same thing happen with similar but different activities means I'm likely prone to it. After the doc looked at my scans, he told me that I have patellafemoral syndrome. Basically, my kneecap is tilted and it's just the way that I'm made. Also means that the grinding that I feel and the pressure with steps and movements is because the tilt causes the kneecap to grind a bit more than free-float like it should. I got some meds and more flector patches and I don't know that I'll keep taking them. Fish oil and mobility WODs are in my future. I did go back to the WOD on Friday anyway because everything can be scaled and I still felt like I could go.

Then I told my trainer I hated him after we got finished with the WOD :) (Joking! sort of.)



Strength was the back squat. Now with my knee, we used a talled box (the gray one) for me to squat to so that I wasn't going deeper than 90* and I scaled back to week 2 instead of week 3 and tried to hit the minimum but no more. Max-39 x 3. Good enough.

Then the reason for the hate. We did a "flight simulator."

Continuous double unders (or continuous single unders)
10-20-30-40-50-40-30-20-10 (30-60-90-120-150-120-90-60-30)

You had to complete each set of continuous jumps before you could move on, once you finished a number, you didn't have to revisit but you had to be continous. Meaning if you were on your 150 set and you did 147 and slipped up, congrats on your 147 but start back over at 1.  It turned out to be quite mental. I lost completely. That's why you see the big fat DNF listed. There was a 20 minute cap and no matter what I did, I could not get past 60. It was an off day. Plus at this point, my knee was really bothering me so I kept trying for 14 minutes before I got pissed and threw in the towel. I don't like that I didn't finish a WOD but I knew that I still had 90-120-150-120-90-60-30 to go and wouldn't finish and I really didn't want to jack my knee up any more with the jumping. Call it a day and move on.

Published with Blogger-droid v1.6.7

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails