Pages

Wednesday, August 4, 2010

Anyway

People are often unreasonable, illogical and self centered;
Forgive them anyway.

If you are kind, people may accuse you of selfish, ulterior motives;
Be kind anyway.

If you are successful, you will win some false friends and some true enemies;
Succeed anyway.

If you are honest and frank, people may cheat you;
Be honest and frank anyway.

What you spend years building, someone could destroy overnight;
Build anyway.

If you find serenity and happiness, they may be jealous;
Be happy anyway.

The good you do today, people will often forget tomorrow;
Do good anyway.

Give the world the best you have, and it may never be enough;
Give the world the best you've got anyway.

You see, in the final analysis, it is between you and your God;
It was never between you and them anyway.


At the wedding this weekend, the bride and groom chose to have the above poem by Mother Teresa read instead of a more traditional wedding reading. I'd never heard it before and absolutely loved it. So much so that I immediately returned home to 'Nati and bookmarked it. I read it again now and it literally brings tears to my eyes, though I'm not quite sure why. They are amazing words and can literally translate and apply to almost any situation I'd encounter.

And I read it again as I sat here earlier dreading going to the gym and just wanting to sit on my butt all night. My legs were sore and I didn't think I'd be able to do it all the way to the end, but I went out and ran anyway. And you know what? I made it to the end. 4 miles later I stepped off the treadmill a happy girl.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails