Pages

Saturday, September 4, 2010

Ocho

I can officially tell myself that I can do the half in 6 weeks.

Today was the day that I felt was going to be the biggest mental block since I've started training.

Eight.

Are you kidding me? There is no way that I can run eight miles in one time.

No way.

But my body begged to differ and God gave me a helping hand today by setting me up with the most beautiful and fantastic setting I could have asked for. He must have known I'd need a little help today.

I drove out to the Loveland Bike Trail and was shocked and amazed to see the amount of people out. Sure I had a later start than I wanted but already at 9:15 there was a plethora of bikers and joggers and dog walkers out. The temps were an absolutely amazing- fall teaser- 65* and the path was paved and flat. Surrounded by trees on both sides with the river running next to it, I set out for my run. I had calculated that I would run 4 miles out and have no choice but to go 4 miles back unless I wanted to walk home and that would have been like 15 miles so no way jose. So even if I completely sucked wind 4 miles in, I had no choice but to walk the entire way back so my eight would be completed today, come hell or high water.

But again, the body had different plans for me, so I didn't really need to worry.

I blasted out and had a mind boggling 10-11ish minute pace for the first 2.5 miles (that I ran continuously. GO ME!) then I paused to see where I was on the trail and kept going. There was a gal in front of me that I caught up with and ran about a mile with. She was friendly and chatted with me- she is doing the Indy FULL in October as well. And she was out for an 8 mile run today as well. She had her own personal water posse (husband and son) who were riding bikes and would catch up with her for rest breaks. I left her at a break and kept on going till I hit my 4. Amazingly enough, I checked my time at 4 and was running faster than my normal 12 minute miles! Around mile 5 I decided it was time for a Gu. Now I've never used Gu and didn't know what to expect. But I opened up the chocolate Gu and ate it while I took a walk break. I was surprisingly really good! Almost like a thicker chocolate pudding. No yucky aftertaste and didn't upset my stomach at all. And I was relieved to feel my strength coming back for another couple of miles. Mile 5, 6, and 7 went pretty well and I could feel myself getting tired. Mile 8 didnt' go as well as I would have hoped but with a combination of walking and running I was able to sprint out my last .1 and finish with (IMO) an amazing time of 1 hour, 36 min 58 sec.

Slugged down a bunch of gatorade and water, pit stop for a Subway Turkey sandwich, and I'm calling it a day today.

I don't want to say it, for I'm afraid I'll jinx myself.

But today I felt like a runner.

Maybe I'm closer than I thought.

Have a great weekend!

3 comments:

  1. You are definitely a runner! I'm very impressed!

    ReplyDelete
  2. um that's frickin awesome!!! go you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are such a runner! That's amazing, Alisha! Way to go :) And good to know about the Gu, Mike always eats (drinks?) them on bike rides & I just assumed they were disgusting.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails