Pages

Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Whirlwind Part 3

Along with all this medical motorcycle drama I lost my first grandparent on 6/26.

My beloved Papa passed away at 5:05pm Friday 6/26. Of course it's terribly cliche but words just can't describe the heart breaking pain that goes through you. I miss him so much already and yet I feel terribly blessed to have had 25 years with him. My mama and papa had 57 glorious years together and were a true example of a successful marriage. I swear he loved her just as much if not infinitely more 57 years later. I
worked on putting together a memory board for his services and found my absolute favorite picture in the entire world. And I never knew it existed until that weekend. I asked mama if I could keep it afterwards and she said of course. It's now in my kitchen but I need to find a frame/mat to do it justice. It brings tears to my eyes and I'm not sure why. But the emotion that exudes all the way from the tips of my toes is so powerful when I look at the picture that there is no way that I could ever part with it or be able to display it in a way that would do it all the justice it deserves.

I printed out this picture and wrote a small note on it. I asked the caretakers at the funeral home to leave it with him. They tucked it under his Bible and it's with him forever.
On the back it said:
"The end of the Rainbow.
I'll always know where to find you.
I'll love you forever Papa.
Love Precious"
When I was little he called me Precious (well, he called me that every day for 25 years) and he used to sing a song to me (well, come to think of it- he never stopped singing it to me either), and anywhere I was- when he started singing it I ran to find him. He always spoke of dancing with me on my wedding day to that song ever since I can remember and I'm so thankful that we got to fulfill that wish. I think about that moment all the time. It's one of the few times during that day where everything stood still and was absolutely perfect.
"You're the end of the rainbow, my pot of gold,
You're [Papa's Precious baby] girl to have and hold
A precious gem is what you are,You're [Papa's] bright and shining star

You're the spirit of Christmas, my star on the tree,
You're the Easter bunny to Mama and me
You're sugar you're spice, you're everything nice,
And you're [Papa's Precious] little girl"
-Daddy's Little Girl - Jeff Carson

1 comment:

  1. Oh wow. And I'm crying. Sending you State-side hugs, Alisha.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails